Saturday, May 7, 2011

Shower door or shower curtain?

I'm deciding whether to install a shower door for the bathtub/shower area or just shower curtains. Here are some pictures from Lowes:

Kohler Frameless Tubdoor

Here is how a shower curtain would look like: Sage shower curtain

Pros and cons of a shower curtain
The curtain provides privacy so that guests won't be able to look into the tub area and see water drops, bottles of shampoo, etc. This is important I think especially because the tub area faces the door, so it's the first thing people see when entering the bathroom. Also, it is right next to the vanity, so people can easily peek into it when standing in front of the vanity. On the other hand, the shower curtain will make the room a bit darker and water can be easily stuck between the liner and the curtain and has a harder time to dry. This can create mold over the years. I noticed that in California tubs have shower doors. I rarely see shower curtains, which are more used in WA state. Could it be because of the warmer and more humid weather in California that warrants shower doors?

I haven't gone to the condo yet this morning, but will go soon when I am on my way to Lowes. I have to take some measurements in the bathroom before I go shopping. I have to get the vanity today, in addition to the light fixture, and maybe a shower door if I make up my mind. I am hoping I can find a suitable vanity because I can order only from the ones that are in stock. There is no time to wait 3 weeks for a special order. The vanity will come with a countertop and sink already. I will probably only need to buy the faucet separately. And don't worry, I won't be transporting all these myself. My contractor accepted to pick them up from Lowes. So when I purchase them, I have to tell them to keep them on the side for pickup.

No comments:

Post a Comment