Sunday, June 5, 2011

Inspection Is Tomorrow

This week they installed all appliances, except for the fridge, which is on back order and will be hopefully delivered in the next couple of weeks. The electrician also finished his work and now all the installed appliances are working and the kitchen has lights. Woohoo!

The kitchen is now ready for use, except for a few minor details to take care of. They told me that the kitchen sink faucet that I got had scratches on it but they installed it anyway. This faucet is the second one I bought. The first one didn't look as nice and I wasn't sure if it could be installed without the bottom plate. Now I cannot really exchange the second one since it's installed, so I have to buy a new one and when the plumber comes back one final time, he will replace it and then I can return the old one. However, I don't look forward to returning it because I already returned two other times at Home Depot, out of three total purchases. So now they will probably blacklist me. :) Besides, I am not sure they will accept returning the scratched faucet. How can I prove to them it was scratched before, as the contractor stated? Maybe I can ask if it was a return from before. If it wasn't, that means it must have been scratched during install, but I don't want to suspect my contractor so soon.

Here is a picture of the wall next to the bathroom door. The dilemma is where to install the towel bar. It should be installed right above the liner (mosaic line), but then it would cover up the nice mosaic. If it is installed below the liner, the bath towels would cover up the vent opening. Maybe install it onto the middle of the liner?


Where to put the towel bar: above or below the mosaic liner?


Tomorrow, Monday, the city inspectors are coming to inspect the work. The contractor will be with them. By the way, I asked for an additional estimate to convert all other electrical outlets to new outlets because the old ones have only two holes and no ground connection. This is potentially unsafe if there is lightning. I mentioned replacing the face plates before to the contractor but I hadn't paid attention that there were only two prongs until after I moved in. He gave me an estimate but then talked about all the risks involved. I think he just wants to get done with this project first. However, if I wait until a later time, they will have to apply for a new permit. I will talk to the contractor tomorrow. I think it's important to do this. But even if I do this extra project, I will still move my furniture in and clean up everything to have a "normal" household. The workers will just have to work around these.

No comments:

Post a Comment